Tuesday, November 23, 2010

More activities using stories from Chicken Soup for the Soul!


This week I tried something a little different as I read the monks stories from Chicken Soup for the Soul.

First I read the story to the class.  Next I gave each of the monks their own copy of the story.  The monks were able to follow along as I read the story to them another time.



When I finished reading the story of Wisdom to the class for the second time, I then asked them to "circle" the Who; draw a "rectangle" around the what; "underline" when the story happened; "star" where the story took place; and put "parentheses" around the why part of the story.

This twist gave a productive "hands-on" component to the activity which the monks enjoyed.  Once the monks had completed this activity, I then randomly called on monks to respond to each of the questions.  

My reading the stories to the monks builds their listening skills.  The addition of the hands-on element extends the activity into reading, writing and speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment