Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chicken Soup for the (monks') Soul!

I have found this to be a fantastic book to use each day as I teach the Buddhist monks. Excellent for auditory skill development as well as comprehension skills. 

I first used it 15 years ago, when I started teaching with Rialto Unifed School District, where I found it a great way to connect with my students. 


Since the monks are all English Language Learners, I usually read the story to them at least twice. 

First, however, I frontload the story by explaining to the monks any new vocabulary words they may not understand. 

After reading the story, I randomly call on a monk to answer the, Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why questions I have written on the writeboard. Sometimes the monks struggle with answering these questions.

After all of the questions has been answered, I then again, randomly call on monks to retell the whole story.  In other words, repetion, repetion, repetion.

No comments:

Post a Comment